History South Oxhey

Nonfiction, History, British
Cover of the book History South Oxhey by Terry Trainor, Terry Trainor
View on Amazon View on AbeBooks View on Kobo View on B.Depository View on eBay View on Walmart
Author: Terry Trainor ISBN: 9781476357645
Publisher: Terry Trainor Publication: April 13, 2012
Imprint: Smashwords Edition Language: English
Author: Terry Trainor
ISBN: 9781476357645
Publisher: Terry Trainor
Publication: April 13, 2012
Imprint: Smashwords Edition
Language: English

The Abbey Grange

The first historical reference to Oxhey comes from the time that it was in the south-east corner of the kingdom of Mercia. King Offa II of Mercia (757-796) traditionally founded the Benedictine Abbey of St Albans. He gave the district of Oxengehaege to the Abbey, it was rumoured, in expiation for a murder for which he felt responsible.

The monks ran it as a grange on which, were mainly the lay brothers, worked to provide food, fodder and firing for the Mother church. For a time the land was seized by 'wicked men', but in 1007 Æthelred the Unready restored it to the then abbot, Leofric, and built a new monastery chapel to replace one which was in ruins following a Viking raid.

The monks are believed to have built the first bridge over the Colne, in what is now the Watford's Lower High Street, so that they could transport produce more easily to St Albans. In later mediaeval times, the land was farmed by tenants of the Abbot. A Cartulary (a set of official records) of about 1390, in the hands of Chatsworth trustees, relates to St Albans' property and mentions Oxhey.

View on Amazon View on AbeBooks View on Kobo View on B.Depository View on eBay View on Walmart

The Abbey Grange

The first historical reference to Oxhey comes from the time that it was in the south-east corner of the kingdom of Mercia. King Offa II of Mercia (757-796) traditionally founded the Benedictine Abbey of St Albans. He gave the district of Oxengehaege to the Abbey, it was rumoured, in expiation for a murder for which he felt responsible.

The monks ran it as a grange on which, were mainly the lay brothers, worked to provide food, fodder and firing for the Mother church. For a time the land was seized by 'wicked men', but in 1007 Æthelred the Unready restored it to the then abbot, Leofric, and built a new monastery chapel to replace one which was in ruins following a Viking raid.

The monks are believed to have built the first bridge over the Colne, in what is now the Watford's Lower High Street, so that they could transport produce more easily to St Albans. In later mediaeval times, the land was farmed by tenants of the Abbot. A Cartulary (a set of official records) of about 1390, in the hands of Chatsworth trustees, relates to St Albans' property and mentions Oxhey.

More books from British

Cover of the book New and Collected Poems by Terry Trainor
Cover of the book History of England From the Fall of Wolsey to the Death of Elizabeth, Volume 2 (Barnes & Noble Digital Library) by Terry Trainor
Cover of the book Strange Worlds: Surreal Stories and Tainted Tales by Terry Trainor
Cover of the book Life of William Blake by Terry Trainor
Cover of the book Selected Poems by Terry Trainor
Cover of the book Looking Inward by Terry Trainor
Cover of the book The Merchant of Venice by Terry Trainor
Cover of the book Watching the English by Terry Trainor
Cover of the book The Case of the American Twins by Terry Trainor
Cover of the book The Mystery Of The Four Fingers by Terry Trainor
Cover of the book In Search of John Brown - The Shipbuilder & The Colonialist by Terry Trainor
Cover of the book The English Republic 1649-1660 by Terry Trainor
Cover of the book Tracking Game by Terry Trainor
Cover of the book Murder for Christmas by Terry Trainor
Cover of the book Tippoo Sultan's Incredible White-Man-Eating Tiger Toy-Machine!!! by Terry Trainor
We use our own "cookies" and third party cookies to improve services and to see statistical information. By using this website, you agree to our Privacy Policy